Lynn's story


Lynn’s story



Many people say they have no regrets in their lives. I have one which still haunts me and fills me with painful sorrow.



Many years ago when I was young I drove overland from the UK to NZ with my husband.  We were approaching some border crossing - I dont recall where, but we were in a rocky desert. There was a puppy all alone, miles from anywhere, without water or food. We stopped and brought it into the van -- I gave it some food.

And then we argued. My husband said we cannot take it across the border. I wanted to smuggle the pup across. To my everlasting shame I gave into pressure and put the puppy back into the desert.



This act has had two major effects on my life.

Firstly I NEVER give in to pressure when I know it would be wrong.

Secondly: I spend much of my time and money helping rescue dogs around the world. While there can never be forgiveness for what I did, I can try to ease the suffering of other dogs.



I just hope there really is a Rainbow Bridge and that one day I will meet that wee puppy again and can show it how deeply sorry I am that I was so cruel.

People who know me and my compassion for all sentient beings will understand the anguish I live with because of that one terrible act when I was too young to have learned assertiveness and courage.


Comments

  1. But, someone else may have found the puppy and helped too. Your bit of food and comfort gave it time for it to find someone else.

    A few years ago, My husband and I were going back to our house innthe local village to work on it to make repairs and make it nice so we could sell it. While visiting the house to work, I realised there was a young stray cat there desparately hungry. We do not have much money and only just make it through each month, but took cat biscuits each visit anyway. The cat got used to me. It used to look for the food because it knew I had some. I used to feed our 2 cats then anything they left, I took with me so it was not wasted.

    The little cat was very friendly, it loved attention. The house had a covered patio and the weather was about to get cold and wet. We had a log basket where the lining had broken. So Imtook the basket and an old pillow and old towel and put them in the basket and put it up on shelf, under cover. Then I found the neighbours big cat had turfed the stray out. I shooed him away.

    When ever we pulled up outside the house, the little cat came running and meowed and meowed. A little meow. So I called her Little Squeek. One day, I had made a fuss of Little Squeek and given her her biscuits and then set to my job for the day. Moments later Little Squeek ran to me, if she had eaten her food she had been very quick. I went to see and give her more biscuits to find the local Tom Cat, was tucking into her food. He has a loving family and is well fed. So no need to steel Little Squeek's.

    I was worried about Little Squeek because her tummy was getting like bloated and she was always hungry. I was considering a trip to the vet but decided she was pregnant. Sure enough, she had 5 kittens. When it was time to give birth, she had dashed into the house next door and hidden under the bed out of reach. The neighbou had to go out so left her. When she returned, found the kittens. The children loved the kittens. So Little Squeek and her family found themselves a new home.

    I would have loved to bring her home but my cats were already settled in our house and they did not like sharing with each other. My special cat (she is disabled) gets jealous if I give attention to the other one so there was no way I could make her more vulnerable by adding to the cat family.

    I feel sorry that the neighbour got lumbered with 6 cats she had not wanted. But the cats are safe and fed and loved by the children.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy stories

Edit’s story