Edit’s story


Edit’s story


When learning in medical school, I had my second year’s summer internship/practice at maternity ward.

Since I am the oldest out of 4 children in my family, nursing and raising the little ones became quite a routine in my childhood so didn’t often feel myself a child.

I guess this is why I have developed my perfectionist side, my caring side and my mind-set up all over the place side.

I didn’t like to put up with any other kids around me, my 3 siblings were more than enough. The other children surely felt that because they had never come to me to play.


So by default I was not child friendly and like this had to go to the maternity ward for summer practice surrounded by the many of crying little „frogs”.


When I was there fourth time, I went into a room where at least 10 of the approximately 18-22 newborn babies were cying. I cannot tell how I exactly felt but I had to go in, as if I had been pulled in there.  There was no nurse in the room, just the 22 newborns.  As I had walked in and looked around, all the crying babies stopped in a minute. It became unbroken silence but such a pleasant silence that I hadn’t felt in my life since then.

This is how I imagine the silence of heaven, as if the the sky had opened up and had sent me a message.



At that very moment something clicked in me and knew that I would never be able to work in any other place but the maternity ward. I became a midwife:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy stories

Lynn's story